What can be better than the powerhouse combination of chocolate & peanut butter? NOTHING!! If you’re looking to add a new treat to your Christmas cookie platter that your family will LOVE, these Chocolate & Peanut Butter “Sandwich” cookies will shine!
This delicious yet easy recipe has been a family favorite for years! Starting on Thanksgiving Day, when my mother in law brings over the first batch, the kids line up to start the sampling. But you’d better get in there quickly because they go fast! We adults are lucky to get any by the time Thanksgiving dinner is over. With minimal equipment and supplies, and only 3 ingredients, putting these chocolate & peanut butter “sandwich” cookies together is a breeze.
- Box of Ritz crackers (or something similar) – original, not flavored
- Jar of Creamy peanut butter (I like JIF - you can also use Nutella)
- Chocolate almond bark, 12 oz.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips, 12 oz.
Equipment / Supplies
- Knife or spreader
- Wax paper
- Baking sheets
Make the Chocolate & Peanut Butter "Sandwich" Cookies
Step 1: Make “sandwiches” by spreading the peanut butter on one cracker and top with another. Place each “sandwich” on a wax paper lined baking sheet. We like to make a big batch so we typically use all 4 sleeves of crackers
Step 2: In a double boiler, slowly melt the chocolate almond bark and the semi-sweet chocolate chips together until smooth, stirring frequently.
Step 3: Using a pair of tongs, dip the “sandwiches”, one at a time, in the melted chocolate mixture, flipping as needed until coated on all sides.
Step 4: Place the coated “sandwich” back on lined baking sheets and allow to cool slightly.
Step 5: Decorate your "sandwiches" with any decorative topping you desire (sprinkles, sugars, silver dragees, etc.). NOTE: The decorations will "stick" better if you apply them while the chocolate mixture is still warm and gooey).
Pop the trays in the refrigerator to help the chocolate coating "set" faster.
Chocolate & Peanut Butter "Sandwich" Cookies
- 1 box Ritz crackers, original flavor
- 1 jar Creamy peanut butter (I like JIF)
- 12 oz. Chocolate Almond Bark
- 12 oz. Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Line two 10 x 15 rimmed baking sheets with parchment or waxed paper
- Make the "sandwiches" by spreading a thick layer of peanut butter on one cracker and then top with another cracker
- Lay the "sandwich" on the lined baking sheets
- Using a double boiler, slowly melt the chocolate almond bark and semi-sweet chocolate pieces together until smooth, stirring frequently
- Using a set of tongs or two forks, gently dip the “sandwiches”, one at a time, in the melted chocolate mixture, flipping as needed until coated on all sides
- Place the coated “sandwich” back on lined baking sheets and allow to cool slightly
- Decorate the cookies with various toppings like sprinkles, sugars or silver dragees if desired (NOTE: the toppings "stick" better if put on while the chocolate mixture is still warm)