The mighty sweet potato! Absolutely delicious all year round, they really shine as an elegant side dish on your holiday table but also work well for a weeknight meal! Rich in antioxidants and loaded with healthy nutrients like fiber and Vitamin A, this potato powerhouse is also extremely versatile. Think mashed, roasted, blended into delicious fall soups - and more!
With Thanksgiving just days away, this super easy sweet potato casserole recipe takes very little time to make. And with only 8 ingredients that you likely already have on hand, it won't break the bank! We love the nutty, crunchy streusel topping as offers a nice contrast to the creaminess of the potatoes. Not too sweet, or too savory, but rich in flavor, this just might become one of your family's favorites, too!
Prepare the Sweet Potatoes
Preparing the potatoes is easy. You can either bake them or cook them on the top of the stove in a pan of water, whatever is easier for you.
To prepare them in the oven:
- Wash the potatoes well and using a fork, poke holes all around the skin in each potato and then wrap each one individually in a piece of aluminum foil
- Bake at 425 degrees for about 25 - 30 minutes or until soft
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool until you can handle the potatoes with your hands
- Unwrap each potato and scoop out the ‘meat’ of each potato, putting it into a large mixing bowl
To prepare them on top of the stove:
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into 1” cubes
- Place them in a pan and cover with just enough water to cover the top of the potatoes
- Bring the pan to a boil and allow to cook for 25 – 30 minutes until you can pierce the potato cubes easily with a fork
- Drain the potatoes and place them in a large mixing bowl
Assemble the Sweet Potato Casserole
I like to start mashing the potatoes while they're still warm, and you can use either a potato masher or hand mixer. It just depends on how smooth you want the potatoes to be. Personally, I like using a hand mixer.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the mashed potatoes and mix well.
- Want to be adventurous? Add a little vanilla, nutmeg or cinnamon to taste
- Spread the potato mixture in the prepared 2 quart baking dish and sprinkle the streusel topping over the mixture. Bake as directed below for about 40 - 45 minutes or until set.
This is a great dish to make in advance and then cook (or reheat) when you're ready to use it. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a 2 - 3 days.
Easy Sweet Potato Casserole
For the Sweet Potato Casserole
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 3 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ⅔ cup heavy cream or evaporated milk
For the Nutty Topping
- ¾ cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. melted butter
Make the Nutty Topping
- In a medium bowl, add all the topping ingredients and mix together until fully combined. Set aside.
Make the Potatoes
- Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into 1" chunks and place in a pan with enough water to just cover the potatoes
- Bring the water and the potatoes to a boil and boil for 25 minutes or until fork tender
- Drain the potatoes well and return to the warm pan or a large mixing bowl
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Using a potato masher or hand mixer, begin mashing the warm, drained potatoes
- Stir in the eggs, butter and heavy cream OR evaporated milk, continuing to mash/mix until smooth
- Spoon the potato mixture into a prepared 2 quart baking dish
- Sprinkle the topping mixture evenly over the top of the potatoes
- Bake for 40 - 45 minutes or until set